I didn't see tonight's Cubs game owing to a family event, where it was all I could manage to receive intelligence on the Bulls/Heat playoff game.

A man can only be asked to do so much.

Regardless, I just caught the wrap-up and box score of the 5-3 win in St. Louis, and I hope those of you who actually experienced the victory won't mind if I piggyback on your glee.

The Cubs have now won two games in a row for the first time in what seems like a very long while--maybe since back in the Riggelman administration.

With his third win of the season and second in a week over the NL Central's Evil Empire, Jason Marquis is edging closer to the point where he and his pitching coach might be owed some sort of an apology from those of us who were convinced Marquis stunk and Larry Rothschild couldn't possibly fix what Dave Duncan was unable to.

Like I said, we're getting closer...but maybe not there yet. Throwing 30 2/3 innings while striking out 14 and walking 13--as Marquis has done so far in '07--corresponds with no known recipe for pitching success.

But it'll do for now.

(AP Photo/Kyle Ericson from espn.com)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment