From Paul Sullivan’s story in Tuesday’s Tribune:

Outfield questions getting to Piniella

PITTSBURGH -- Lou Piniella is having a difficult time explaining his outfield situation on a daily basis.

Every new lineup brings more questions, and every new question brings more sighs from the exasperated Cubs manager.

Before Monday's game, Piniella politely asked the media to change the subject.

"I've got ideas, but they're my ideas, OK?" Piniella said. "I don't need to share them every day with everybody, if you want to know the truth. I think I know what I'm doing with this.

"You all ask me every day, and I don't have the answers every day. What can I do? If I play a set lineup every day, I'm going to have a steady group of people coming in here every day that are not going to be happy.

"Do I keep you all unhappy by making you guess? Or do I get the players unhappy by having them come in here? We'll keep you guys guessing a little bit. I don't know what else to say. I've tried to be funny, but look, it's not fun for me either."


From Chris Adamski’s story at cubs.com:

Piniella handling outfield jam

PITTSBURGH -- Lou Piniella feels like he gets asked about his stable of outfielders and how to distribute playing time amongst them every day. And that feeling isn't too far from the truth.

So the Cubs manager had a little fun when the inquiry came again Monday.

"If I played a set lineup every day, I'm going to have a steady group of people coming in here not very happy," Piniella laughed, referring to those players who are not starting coming into his office. "So do I keep you [reporters] all unhappy by making you guess? Or do I get the players unhappy by making them come in here?"

The obvious answer followed.

"We'll keep you guys guessing a little bit."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment